Chandra Bheda Pranayama: Moon BreathDec 03, 2015
Anxious lately? Me, too.
Decrease heart rate, reduce systolic pressure and pulse pressure with this simple breathing technique which cools and calms the nervous system, reduces bile and digestive heat. The qualities of the moon and of this breathing technique correspond to the introspective, passive and artistic aspects of an individual’s personality.
Chandra Bheda Pranayama (Moon Breath)
- Sit with the spine erect.
- Close the right nostril with the right hand thumb.
- Inhale through the left nostril, containing the breath in the throat, lungs and stomach. You may retain the breath or not.
- Now close the left nostril with the right index finger and exhale through the right nostril completely.
- Continue to inhale through the left nostril and exhale through the right nostril.
- You may make a sound at the back of the throat with the air as you breath and control the passage.
- You may wish to keep your focus at the point between the eyebrows and an inch higher, sensing the body all the while.
- Practice one round to begin, building to six, then more as you notice the subtler effects of this practice.
Need scientific proof that this works?? From the International Journal of Yoga:
"Immediate effect of chandra nadi pranayama (left unilateral forced nostril breathing) on cardiovascular parameters in hypertensive patients" (Read more).
Tamaso ma jyotir gamaya
From darkness to light.
To stay connected, please subscribe to my newsletter!
Please check your email address to confirm your subscription. You can unsubscribe at any time.